Hi! I'm a quirky, weird, unpretentious ADHD geek flag waver, knitter and Christian from a small town and this is my blog.
the english language, everyone
This hit me like a brick
And people wonder why authors use italics and bold and shit so reader’s understand what’s going the fuck on.
And of course I just read this in my head 7 times, stressing each word differently.
i still don’t understand this…
holy shit yes.I did all 7 versions out loud, it was fun
"Using my own hand as a base material, I considered it a canvas upon which I stitched into the top layer of skin using thread to create the appearance of an incredibly work worn hand. By using the technique of embroidery, traditionally employed to represent femininity and applying it to the expression of it’s opposite, I hope to challenge the pre-conceived notion that ‘women’s work’ is light and easy. Aiming to represent the effects of hard work arising from employment in low paid ancillary jobs such as cleaning, caring, and catering, all traditionally considered to be ‘women’s work’"
A woman’s work is never done
OMG! No! No! No! I just can’t imagine embroidering my own skin! There is a sharp, pointy needle! A NEEDLE!!! EWWWWW!
I see a lot of hotline posts all over tumblr - so here’s a culmination of a few:
- Suicide Hotline (US, UK, Canada & Singapore): 1-800-SUICIDE (2433)
- Suicide hotline (New Zealand): 0800 543 354
- Depression hotline: 1-630-482-9696
- Suicide Crisis Line: 1-800-999-9999
- National Suicide Prevention Helpline: 1-800-273-TALK (8245)
- National Adolescent Suicide Helpline: 1-800-621-4000
- Postpartum Depression: 1-800-PPD-MOMS
- NDMDA Depression Hotline – Support Group: 1-800-826-3632
- Veterans: 1-877-VET2VET
- Crisis Help Line – For Any Kind of Crisis: 1-800-233-4357
- Suicide & Depression Crisis Line – Covenant House: 1-800-999-9999
- National Child Abuse Helpline: 1-800-422-4453
- National Domestic Violence Crisis Line: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline (TDD): 1-800-787-32324
- Center for the Prevention of School Violence: 1-800-299-6504
- Child Abuse Helpline: 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453)
- Domestic Violence Helpline: 1-800-548-2722
- Healing Woman Foundation (Abuse): 1-800-477-4111
- Child Abuse Hotline Support & Information: 1-800-792-5200
- Women’s Aid National Domestic Violence Helpline (UK): 0345 023 468
- Sexual Abuse Centre (UK): 0117 935 1707
- Sexual Assault Support (24/7, English & Spanish): 1-800-223-5001
- Domestic & Teen Dating Violence (English & Spanish): 1-800-992-2600
- Rape Crisis England & Wales: 0808 802 9999 1(open 2 - 2.30pm 7 - 9.30pm) e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rape Crisis Scotland: 08088 01 03 02 every day, 6pm to midnight
Alcohol & Drug Abuse
- National Association for Children of Alcoholics: 1-888-55-4COAS (1-888-554-2627)
- National Drug Abuse: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
- Al-Anon/Alateen Hope & Help for young people who are the relatives & friends of a problem drinker): 1-800-344-2666
- Alcohol/Drug Abuse Hotline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
- Be Sober Hotline: 1-800-BE-SOBER (1-800-237-6237)
- Cocaine Help Line: 1-800-COCAINE (1-800-262-2463)
- 24 Hour Cocaine Support Line: 1-800-992-9239
- Ecstasy Addiction: 1-800-468-6933
- Marijuana Anonymous: 1-800-766-6779
- Drinkline (UK): 0800 9178282
- Frank (UK): 0800776600
Youth & Teen Hotlines
- National Youth Crisis Support: 1-800-448-4663
- Youth America Hotline: 1-877-YOUTHLINE (1-877-968-8454)
- Covenant House Nine-Line (Teens): 1-800-999-9999
- Boys Town National: 1-800-448-3000
- Teen Helpline: 1-800-400-0900
- TeenLine: 1-800-522-8336
- Youth Crisis Support: 1-800-448-4663 or 1-800-422-0009
- Runaway Support (All Calls are Confidential): 800-231-6946
- Childline: (UK Only) 0800 1111
- Kids Helpline (Australia) 1800 55 1800
- b-eat youthline (UK): 08456347650 (open Mon-Fri 4.30pm - 8.30pm, Saturday 1pm-4.30pm)
- AAA Crisis Pregnancy Center: 1-800-560-0717
- Pregnancy Support: 1-800-4-OPTIONS (1-800-467-8466)
- Pregnancy National Helpline: 1-800-356-5761
- Young Pregnant Support: 1-800 550-4900
Gay and Lesbian Hotlines
- The Trevor Helpline (For homosexuality questions or problems): 1-800-850-8078
- Gay & Lesbian National Support: 1-888-THE-GLNH (1-888-843-4564)
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) Youth Support Line: 1-800-850-8078
- Lesbian & Gay Switchboard: (UK Only) 0121 622 6589
- Lothian Gay & Lesbian Switchboard – Scotland: (Scotland Only) 0131 556 4049
- Self-Injury Support: 1-800-DONT CUT (1-800-366-8288) (www.selfinjury.com)
- Eating Disorders Awareness and Prevention: 1-800-931-2237 (Hours: 8am-noon daily, PST)
- Eating Disorders Center: 1-888-236-1188
- Help Finding a Therapist: 1-800-THERAPIST (1-800-843-7274)
- Panic Disorder Information and Support: 1-800-64-PANIC (1-800-647-2642)
- TalkZone (Peer Counselors): 1-800-475-TALK (1-800-475-2855)
- Parental Stress Hotline: 1-800-632-8188
- National AIDS Helpline: (UK) 0800 567 123
- Samaritans (UK): 08457909090 e-mail email@example.com
- b-eat eating disorder support (UK): 0845 634 14 14 (only open Mon-Fri 10.30am-8.30pm and Saturday 1pm-4.30pm) e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mind infoline (UK mental health information): 0300 123 3393 e-mail: email@example.com
- Mind legal advice (UK): 0300 466 6463 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cruse Bereavement Care (UK): 08444779400 email@example.com
I don’t own any of the pictures (if you know the sources, feel free to add them in ^^), nor did I create the above list. I just wanted them all in one place <3
Could you live on $8 or $9 dollars an hour? A computer game made by the Urban Ministries of Durham in North Carolina and an advertising firm called McKinney lets you play out life with a low-wage job as a single mom. The objective is to make it a month, juggling getting a job, rent, a place to live, food and coping with the costs of repairs, things for your child, insurance, etc.. Actually a very hard game to play and full of reminders of the difficulties of life on that kind of salary.
That’s about what I make. (pricing dept. at a local grocery store) However … I don’t have a kid … or any of those type of responsiblities, but the ladies I work with deal with this EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. AND. THEY. ONLY. GET. PART. TIME. HOURS!!!!
Oh god thank fucking christ.
I usually don’t reblog these, but I feel like some of my followers could probably use the reassurance. I definitely have these kinds of thoughts sometimes.
so i’m not crazy for randomly thinking such thoughts? what a relief!
Edgar Allan Poe had a name for it too: The Imp of the Perverse. he compared the impulses to a demon that urges people to do the wrong thing simply because it can be done
The compulsion to jump from high places is called “l’appel du vide" in French. The call of the void. I think it’s specific to that one instance, but I think it’s a cool phrase for this phenomenon in general.
I think about this with random sharp objects laying around, too. “What if I just jammed this into my eye or throat right now? … oh god WHAT.” Just… fucking christ, brain. Don’t.
Reblogging this again because most people don’t/never know how normal these thoughts are, and that can be a major source of stress. It’s okay. You’re okay. Just, you know, don’t follow through on that shit.
my life goal is to reblog this every monday
I’m tempted to set this up in my queue every Monday for a year.
See this every Monday, Reblog this every time. (:
Perfection. Monday at 12:29am. Reblog everytime.
It’s back! It must be Monday!
Okay, this is actually what you do if you’re being sexually harassed in any kind of public space. Draw attention to it, preferably pull away and let EVERYONE know that someone is touching you. This will not only get him to get off you but he’ll definitely think about this situation next time he wants to do something like this.
Spreading the word.